Wednesday, September 06, 2006

An interesting thing happened while checking my email...

Interestingly enough, I was going through my email and I ran across an official looking mail that came in on the one of the campus mailing lists (COIS). The email had a word processing file attached to it (.doc) that was meant to look like an invoice from an HMO.

I just let the message sit and moved on through my mail. The reason I didn't immediately rush and open it were three fold:

1. The campus mail lists have been compromised by spammers or worse in a serious way.
2. The message came from someone sending mail through a domain called "schmoozeyoulose.com". This is why I read the full address line on my emails.
3. I don't belong to an HMO.

In an later email from ZDnet (Ziff-Davis), they have this story:
Word flaw hit with zero-day attack | Tech News on ZDNet

Now I have a Trojan trapped in my inbox. So caution is the word. Remember, don't take candy or unsolicited files from strangers.

No comments: